Monday, October 22, 2012

Time for new skills...

I'm a college graduate. I can't even express how excited I was to finally graduate! No more homework and I would get paid, not the school.

Well, little did I know, it's not that simple. I couldn't find a job. Not because I'm not qualified--simply because there is a huge lack of a job market for photography. 


Yes, I have almost completed one semester's
worth of work in 1 1/2 weeks. I'm a little addicted...
But, almost all (5 ouf of 7) of the siblings (and most of their spouses) are programmers. They are all ridiculously smart and (yes) nerdy. I say that with all of the love in the world. They are really going places: they all have great-paying jobs and are successful.

So, I thought I'd give it a shot. Now, I'm kind of addicted. I'm re-learning HTML and CSS and now I'm digging deeper into JavaScript and I actually find it FUN!! Crazy, right? But it's true. Something about typing in a code and getting the computer to display what I want it to gives me a huge satisfaction. My biggest motivator, though, is that there is a job market for it.

I'm learning WEB DESIGN and it's awesome!!
Here's where I'm learning it. 


And here's what I'm also learning... if you mess one little thing up (i.e. forget one little semicolon or parenthesis) your code goes  BOOM  and everything gets screwed up. Talk about frustrating... so you could spend hours like this and not know what's going on:


(In fact, I have seen my little sister Christina do this many times, it's kinda funny to watch, but not fun from the other end)


I'm obviously not a pro at it yet, and frequently feel like the little cartoon shown above, but I feel like I'm actually getting somewhere in this dead economy. I'm still--and always will be-- a photographer who loves to Photoshop, but I also love designing and programming now.

I guess I'm a nerd. It's in my blood-- you can't escape genetics ;)

2 comments:

  1. That's really cool Angela! Recently I've had the urge to learn new skills too to make myself more marketable. It's just so tough right now to find jobs, especially as recent graduates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey... i just read this post... rude!! :P but I cannot deny the truth of it!
    BTW, are you still coding? it's fun (say with brainwashing accent)!!

    ReplyDelete