Thursday, March 8, 2012

Unrealistic Expectations: My BFA Photography Project

Sooo, I did a really stupid thing... I forgot to show people the FINAL results of my BFA Photography project! I just realized that I showed some people, but not the general public. Probably because I've been preoccupied, but still. Here they are, in no particular order. I could have figured it out, but I didn't want too much time on that...

My project is calle "Unrealistic Expectations". It reflects my views on self-image, specifically in girls. I come from a large family, 90% of which are girls. I've associated with many types of girls (divas, tomboys, adventurers, models, nerds) some confident and some not confident. I've seen many girls (myself included) suffer from low self-esteem. It's unavoidable. Why do we have low self-esteem? The main reason, I believe, is because we see models everywhere in the media. They are beautiful and sexy and get all the attention. But the sad thing is that we FORGET (most of us already know) that these women that we see all over the place in the media are PHOTSHOPPED!! Photoshop is an amazing tool. You can create virtually anything with it. I LOVE Photoshop, and sadly, I've seen what it can manipulate your average woman and turn her into a totally different person--sometimes unrecognizable!! I've done this many times with many different people and the results are amazing.

The irony of my project is that I used Photoshop to put a twist on this concept. I don't manipulate their portraits; the girls in the photos manipulate themselves with different tools (erasers, pencils, scissors, etc). The photographs are done in the girls' private settings because this manipulation goes on behind-the-scenes, much like the manipulation of celebrity/model photographs.

That is why I call it "Unrealistic Expectations"--no one can achieve that "perfect" look in real life. It's virtually impossible.

Anyway, that's basically what this is about. Hopefully you understand it so I can stop blabbing :)

Oh yeah, just a disclaimer: some of these images might be a bit graphic for some people. I had to get my points across as much as possible, so it was sometimes necessary. I hope I don't offend anyone...

Unrealistic Expectations


Blue Eyes


Kissable Lips


Perfect Skin


 Full Breasts


 Glowing Tan


Luscious Locks 


Slim Figure 


Sparkling Smile



2 comments:

  1. Ang, the end result is awesome. You did a great job. I'm glad I could see it! :D

    ReplyDelete