Thursday, October 30, 2014

My First Spiral Jetty Experience

Over the summer, I decided to check out the Spiral Jetty on the Great Salt Lake. My photo professors always said that it was a photographer's dream so I wanted to see what the fuss was all about. I was amazed when I got there. The landscape is unreal: dry yet beautiful, I could've stayed there all day! (though I could've done without the smell and the heat)

There's a great/sad story that goes with this trip (refer to last picture). I was walking around the jetty, taking a bazillion pictures, then I saw something cool in the distance. I started to walk toward it and after about 10 steps, I felt my foot sink into something unearthly. It felt like mud but it was too slimy. It was also really stinky and hot from the sun. I was wearing flip flops (never again!), so I pulled my foot out, but my flip flip was still stuck. I pulled my flip flop out with my hands and put it back on - it was disgusting and hot. I tried walking in a different direction, but my other foot started to sink so I had to tread lightly. I finally found some spots (far and few between, it seemed) where the ground was more sturdy. I FINALLY made it back to my car, but my shoe reeked of whatever crap was in that nasty black stuff - I don't even want to know!! I put my shoe in a plastic bag that was luckily in my car and drove home. I was later told that the black stuff was probably tar (I don't believe them). Even so, next time I'm wearing fishing boots!!




Beautiful!! But proceed at your own risk...
The sky was PERFECT


The damage. Yeah, it was pretty gross...

No comments:

Post a Comment